Are you looking for a comfortable, secure and climate controlled environment to walk in?
Patrick Henry Mall doors open at 7:00 am Monday - Saturday and 9:00 am on Sunday for your convenience!
Stop by Customer Service for more information.
Monday - Saturday 10am - 9pm
Sunday noon - 6pm
Walk This Way, sponsored by the Riverside Heart & Vascular Center, is designed to help you establish an effective exercise routine within the comfortable, secure and climate controlled environment of the Patrick Henry Mall. Whatever your goals are - becoming physically fit, losing those extra pounds or toning up your body - walking is the ideal form of physical activity.
Walking is the most popular form of exercise and you can do it well into your later years. As a simple, safe and free aerobic conditioning program, you can enjoy walking alone, with a partner or in a group.
Walking burns approximately the same amount of calories per mile as running, without the jarring effect. It also helps strengthen your bones, condition your heart and lungs, boost your energy level and manage stress. In addition, walking is virtually injury free.
Take the First Steps
The great thing about walking is that you already know how! All you need to do now is consider the following tips:
• If you’ve been inactive, check with your doctor before beginning any exercise.
• Don’t push yourself. Set small goals and then increase them as your body becomes accustomed to a regular walking routine.
• As you walk, land on your heel, rolling your foot from heel to toe, and finally pushing off with your toes. Toes should point straight ahead and arms should swing loosely at sides.
• Start at a slower pace to warm up (5 minutes) and finish with 5 minutes of stretching. Stretching improves circulation and helps alleviate any muscle stiffness.
• If you feel pain or physical discomfort, stop exercising. Also, pay attention to your feet. Pain in the feet and ankles are not normal and could indicate a foot or circulatory problem. Talk with your doctor if the problems continue.
• Don't try to compete with others. Your objective should be to steadily improve your own performance, not to walk farther or faster than someone else.
• Drink water before, during and after you walk.
CLICK HERE for a mall walker route.